Author Topic: Fixing frizzy doll hair?  (Read 11341 times)

Offline Poezekate

Fixing frizzy doll hair?
« on: November 11, 2010, 09:39:48 AM »
my 2 first moxie girlz have some hair problems, it is frizzy at the tips but the rest of the hair is soft. I have tried cutting the hair but the tips just get frizzy again! It is also very poufy i tried to fix that with boiling water but that didn't work (I probably did something wrong). Plus, it "folds" really easily in any way exept the one i want

has anyone got tips on how to fix this?

Offline Duvet

• Swapers
  • Je suis libertin, mais pas un pecheur!
Re: Fixing frizzy doll hair?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 05:47:33 PM »
Generally you should first find out what kind of hair you doll has. Then according to the type, take hot water and pour it to her head. If it is still like a mane, take saran wrap and wrap it around her head, "traping" the hair. The ends are difficult. If it is saran hair, or kanekalon hair, you can use a straightening iron, but the hair must be wet, and use it gently. I guess it is saran because you said it folds. Generally saran hair do that a lot, so maintaining straight saran hair, is difficult.

Offline partydolly

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »
I always dunk Barbies into boiling water and fabric softener. Rinse, comb and let dry. If needed I cut off the frizzy tips while it's wet. I don't know if this works for all dolls.

Offline Ms. Whovian

• Swapers
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 09:51:51 PM »
You put fabric softener in the boiling water? that's a idea
The Doctor: How did you know this was me?
Captain Jack: The police box kinda gives it away.

Offline partydolly

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »
It works really well. It will straighten it. if you want it curly you would have to do a boil perm after.

Offline Linsilee

• Swapers
  • Formly known as Moonwillow
    • Moon Realm
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 07:46:11 AM »
How long do you duck the head of the barbie into the boiling water?

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 08:25:08 AM »
my 2 first moxie girlz have some hair problems, it is frizzy at the tips but the rest of the hair is soft. I have tried cutting the hair but the tips just get frizzy again! It is also very poufy i tried to fix that with boiling water but that didn't work (I probably did something wrong). Plus, it "folds" really easily in any way exept the one i want

has anyone got tips on how to fix this?

PICTURES!! - Send us a picture!

I'm pretty sure that the problem is a combination of VERY delicate hair fibers and stretching - resulting in frizz that the fix for is removal (cutting it off) - but I can't be sure of that without pictures.  With that type of fiber, we're talking bare seconds over steam as your best way of straightening it.

Since it's poufy - it might be on the other end of the spectrum and be very sturdy fibers - which can take all the heat you want to give it, and will still want to argue with you - but some of which also has a common 'frizzed ends' issue.  Which also has to be cut off, but at least is less likely to frizz again as long as you don't brush/stretch it.

Pictures?

:hug1:

That which does not kill me - has made a grave tactical error - Jerry Pournelle

Offline Poezekate

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 12:00:15 PM »
Thanks for all the tips! I'll definetly try them out,
 :touched:
and i will post pictures as soon as i can. (that means when i have found batteries for my camera and took the best pictures i could take with it.)

Offline Poezekate

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 06:34:23 AM »
I have pic's. sorry that it took so long, my camera was acting weird.
anyway here are some pic's

Esther's (the blonde one's) hair is as tame as i can get it, The other one had her hair in a braid before i took this pic.
Here are some more pic's to show the frizzy ends

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 09:32:58 AM »
I have pic's. sorry that it took so long, my camera was acting weird.
anyway here are some pic's

Yup - very delicate and 'stretched'.   the only "fix" is to cut off the frizz........ I AM sorry?  Spray the hair with a 'leave in' hair conditioner (childs detangler seems to work best) - GENTLY comb through it, cut off the frizzy stubborn bits....

Rinse in WATER ONLY so you've still got some conditioner left in the hair... and it should work for awhile? - if the hair seems to be tangling again - coat it heavily with the conditioner and/or fabric softener BEFORE combing it out next time...

Should help?

Offline Duvet

• Swapers
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 08:34:53 AM »
You can actually do something else, if you don't want to cut the dolls hair. You can take a curling iron, and use it as a hair straightener only to the ends, but make sure your doll's hair will be wet.

Offline Poezekate

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 07:53:42 AM »
Really?  :doh: i have already cut the hair of one doll, but i'll try that one the other. thanks to both anyway.

Offline Duvet

• Swapers
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 08:21:50 AM »
Yes, try to use the curling iron like a straightener, but try not to have it grabbing the hair too tigh, I mean, it would be best if you had the grip a little loose....

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
Yes, try to use the curling iron like a straightener, but try not to have it grabbing the hair too tigh, I mean, it would be best if you had the grip a little loose....

Ahhh well - with very fine hair? - you're more likely to frizz some more than you are to straighten the problem area...

You CAN give it a shot - but with low low LOW heat!!

Good luck!!

Offline Tina

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 03:06:10 AM »
Looking at the pics, I'm pretty sure it's kanekalon.

Yes, fabric softener works very well.

You don't want to "dunk" the head in boiling water for this project, because the resulting hairstyle won't be very pretty.

Boil a pot of water, and add some fabric softener to it.

Stand the doll up in a sink, bend her arm out and away from her body as much as possible, and hold her hand! You're not holding her hand to comfort her, LOL, you're just doing it so that she can remain standing upright.

Now, pour the boiling water over her head. You want to be careful not to burn your fingers as the water gets poured, so that's why I said to bend her arm outward from her body when you hold her hand.

After pouring the boiling water, comb her hair with a fine-toothed comb.

Then, pour more boiling water over her head again, and comb again.

After that, pour ice water over her head, and comb it again.

Then, let her hair air dry, and the following day, you should be very pleased with the result ;)

Tags: