Author Topic: Types of glue  (Read 983 times)

Offline la chatte noire

• la chatte noire's multicrafteral blog
Types of glue
« on: September 04, 2013, 08:58:32 AM »
Hi again!
I often read craft tutorials, most of which are written by Americans, and they seem to have a language of their own when talking about supplies. Today's subject is glue. Please help me understand a few types of glues that I can't find a substitute for - but first I'll list the glues I do know:
  • Superglue (cyanoacrylate, or Krazy glue) - the regular kind glues your fingers before anything else, the gel kind is pretty helpful.
  • White glue (carpenter's glue, or Elmer's) - water soluble white liquid that dries clear-ish and stiff; fun to peel off the skin when bored.
  • School glue - the one that has the appearance and gluing properties of saliva. Very watery, distorts paper and dries clear, if that matters.
  • Starch glue ("office glue") - used in Soviet offices to glue paper. Similar to school glue, yellows a lot.
  • Glue stick - looks like lip balm.
  • Hot glue - the one that goes in the gun.
  • Clear rubbery glues - the ones in a metal tube like toothpaste, very strong smell (something between alcohol and nail polish); clear jelly that dries clear and flexible, we use it to fix shoes. If pulled from the tube, it creates a thin string like spider web. Takes a while to dry under pressure.
  • Non-clear rubbery glues - here goes by the name "Moment" and "Super Moment". It's stronger than the previous category, yellowish; used for heavy-duty shoe repairs, stains. The kind kids get high on.
  • Two-part epoxy glue - two tubes, one is off-white, other clear, mixed in equal proportion for a strong stiff hold. Dries yellow and cloudy.

Now the ones I know nothing about:
  • Tacky glue - so often found in tutorials, not the slightest idea what it is *sigh*
  • Fabric glue (Fabri-tac) - I bought fabric glue once, it was off-white, very liquid, smelled like chicken broth, dried brown. It looked nothing like what people use to glue hair in tutorials.
  • Aileen's
  • E-6000
  • Jewellery glue
  • Mod Podge - we have "decoupage glue", but since it's made by the same guys who make opaque paint medium and paint primer that peels faster than unprimed paint, I don't think I should get it.
  • Spray glue - I'm mentioning it only to make a complete list. I know it's glue in a spray can that I'll never get in my country.

Has anyone used these glues? Is any of them in the rubber glues category or similar to other types I listed? Thanks for any help.
I was born in the Soviet Union - art supplies are hard to find here so please keep it simple with me!

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
Re: Types of glue
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:44:38 PM »
Whoof! - you DO have a point!

Okay, from what  can tell...

Clear rubbery glue = both Aileen's and Tacky Glue, at least as far as dries clear and flexible applies.  ("Aileen's Tacky Glue" is actually the full name of the original, although there are probably knock-off's by now)

Fabric glue I have no idea of, since I disapprove so heavily I've never used it? (sorry)

E-6000 IS "jewelry glue" - and it's extremely strong, and stands on it's own for formula... I'd say your two part epoxy is the closest substitute, but your non-clear rubbery would also probably work.. mmmm - no, stick with epoxy.

I can't help with modge-podge either... not because I disapprove or anything... I've just never used it?

Your non-clear rubbery glue's will be referenced under 'contact cement' and 'leather glue'. 

Spray glues come in allll sorts of formula's so to substitute depends on what you're working with and what you want the glue to do?  (if you're, say, gluing fabric to cardboard, use your glue stick or a (very)thin layer of white glue...)

Have fun!!  :woohoo:
That which does not kill me - has made a grave tactical error - Jerry Pournelle

Offline la chatte noire

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:44:39 AM »
Ooooh, this is really helpful!
I figured tacky glue should feel rubbery, although in some pictures it was white upon application.
I forgot about contact cement, it's a term I saw often and now I'll know what it is.
For jewellery I use gel superglue. I'll try to buy the real thing and smuggle it in my luggage as I did with nail polish. I'm not satisfied with superglue because I can only use it for rhinestones.
I was born in the Soviet Union - art supplies are hard to find here so please keep it simple with me!

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »
Keep in mind that I'm GUESSING at the best uses for the glues you described?  I could easily be wrong, but I tried? :grin1:

:hug1:

Ooooh, this is really helpful!
I figured tacky glue should feel rubbery, although in some pictures it was white upon application.
I forgot about contact cement, it's a term I saw often and now I'll know what it is.
For jewellery I use gel superglue. I'll try to buy the real thing and smuggle it in my luggage as I did with nail polish. I'm not satisfied with superglue because I can only use it for rhinestones.

Offline la chatte noire

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
No worries, I'll test before gluing anything important!

Offline Linnzy

• Swapers
  • In the name of the Moon, I'll punish you!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
Awesome post!

E 6000 is the best jewellery glue I've tried, ok so I havn't tried alot..but as far as gluing stuf that really needs to hold, E 6000 is the best...it's way better than those superglues I found in the supermarket. To bad for me only place I can buy it is online, ebay or soemthing.

So I've seen people doing all sorts of fun stuff with Mod Podge, (the latest was attaching comicpages on to shoes, how cool is that?!! )

so is it like any other decoupage-glue or is it something else, my real question would be I think, can I use some other decoupage glue found here in swedish stores instead of trying to get mod podge from ebay or stuff?
Credendo Vides - By Beiliving, you'll see! - The Voyage of the Unicorn

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »

So I've seen people doing all sorts of fun stuff with Mod Podge, (the latest was attaching comicpages on to shoes, how cool is that?!! )

so is it like any other decoupage-glue or is it something else, my real question would be I think, can I use some other decoupage glue found here in swedish stores instead of trying to get mod podge from ebay or stuff?

AS FAR AS I KNOW.... which, ya know, isn't very...

Mod Podge is just a brand name and is typical of any decoupage glue... it just became popular and then a used name for any decoupage glue... (commercial's, all pervasive, and, wait, lemme think... evil... :grin1:)

Offline LadyG

• Still Waters
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »
to the best of my knowledge, mod-podge (brand name) is identical to white glue, only thinner....so use white glue thinned with water until it's easy to brush on without leaving brush marks. I've used brand name Mod Podge, and I've used my much cheaper substitute and I can't see the difference....except in how much I spend.

Tags: glue supplies