Author Topic: Tattooing your Dollies with Decals and Temporary Tattoos (EDIT 05-24-12)  (Read 9017 times)

Offline dezeradoll

• Swapers
  • ummm.. because Yes!
    • Me on Deviantart
EDIT: I wanted to throw a little edit in here since I have improved on this tutorial. I got some of the Testors Dullcoat spray sealer and it works amazingly for this. (anyone who is unsure of where to get the spray, Look in the model car section of any craft shop or just shoot me a PM and I can get it)

The old sealer I discovered peals after time if the dolls are played with.
Also, They look more real with the testors sealer as it does not leave the shiny outline the old stuff does.

New steps: first before you do anything, spray a light coat on the dolls full body (if the doll still has its head, make sure you cover the hair) Let it dry for around 24 hours, This gives something for the tattoos to grip to and they don't wrinkle as easily as they do on a smooth body. This step also dulls down the shine on the body.

Next, Apply a few tattoos, same as in the tutorial, then after they are totally dry, do another coat of the spray. Again, Let it sit for around 24 hrs.

Just a note, I bumped one of the tattoos before the sealer was dry and it damaged the tattoo easier than normal, DO NOT let anything touch the tattoos until they are 100% dry. So make sure you place the tattoos in a way that you can sit the doll to dry with them touching anything.

From here you can add more tattoos and seal again, Or if you are done, do a few more coats of sealer. The more coats you put, the better protected that tattoos will be. I use at least 3.

Just like with the other sealer, If the dolls are heavily played with the tattoos will eventually wear out, The big difference, with the testors sealer they will begin to scratch like any paint can do, with the old sealer it will begin to peal and curl, witch as you can see below, Looks terrible.
 But if your just displaying them they should last with either sealer..

Here are some comparison pictures, I decided my John and Ro needed new bodies, I play with these dollies often so I like to keep them looking great. (im gonna leave these pics full size so you can see the detail)

John's arm.
The left is his new body with the testors sealer, The right is his old body that is flaking

John's side (kinda bummed I didn't get the placement quite right on this one, but it still looks better than the old one.)
Again, New body on the left, Old body on the right

Ro's Tummy (you can barely tell what the tattoo was supposed to be on the old one)
New body on the left, old one on the right (Notice how its not so shiny)

Ro's Back, I did change his upper back tattoos, but most of them are the same
New body on the left, Old on the right

After previewing this I realized these are the same two I originally used in this tut. lol

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

My first official tutorial  :partydance:
Any critiques or suggestions are welcome on this. I want to do another one on peircings, so any tips on how to improve my tutorial skills would be great.  :grin1:

I am going to show how to tattoo your dollies using nail decals and regular temporary tattoos.
This tutorial is great for those who want the small, detailed tattoos that are difficult to do with a paintbrush.

What you will need:
Doll to be tattooed
Temporary tattoos or nail decals
Small paint brush
Matte sealer (I have found Americana Duraclear matte varnish works best)
Small sharp scissors
Q-tips
Small container of water

First step is to choose your victim.  :evil:
When deciding what doll to tattoo choose one with a hard plastic body. The tattoos will not keep on soft plastic, they will crack and peel. For example, On older Barbie and Ken dolls you can tattoo their upper torsos and arms but not the legs.

My victims for this tutorial are my two favorites to tattoo, John and Ro. They both have full, hard plastic bodies.

(Anything before now is for both tutorials)

Part 1:
I am going to start with the Decals. The best part about nail decals is they usually come in sheets of 20, so if you mess up you can try again.

When you choose your design, cut it out as close to the design as you can. It's tempting to cut it out as a square but that will make it look "fake" on the doll.

Now decide where you want to place it on the doll and size it up. With decals, the tattoo will face the same way on the doll as it does on paper. So when you are testing where you want it, keep the decal face up.

Once you have decided where you are going to place it, drop the decal in a small amount of water. Follow the directions on the decals for how long to leave in water, most decals take 10-30 seconds, if you leave it in to long the decal will fall apart. When you remove the decal from the water, it should slide easly off the paper backing.

Carefully place it on the doll. The side that was against the paper is the side that should be touching the doll. Another nice thing about decals, If you place it on the doll and it's not quite right, you can gently slide it to get it in the perfect position. Once in looks right, press it down flat and make sure there are no air bubbles.
This one I left in the water to long (I was trying to take pictures at the same time) so it got messed up. If you mess up and the decal and want to start over, the decal will just wipe right off with a paper towel as long as you have not sealed it. Once you have the decal on and are happy with it, let it air dry before sealing it.
(Left: first attempt that got messed up, Right: my do over)

Once it's 100% dry, it's time to seal it. I have tried many sealers and found that Americana DuraClear Matte Varnish works the best.  If you are not sure about the sealer you use, test it on the dolls body and make sure it dries hard (some of them dry soft and you can scratch it right off with your nail)
When you go to seal it, Dip your brush in the sealer and Dab it on. Do not brush it or you may ruin the decal. When the first coat is dry, I like to put a second coat on, The second coat you can brush on with no worry about messing up the decal.
Here are some finished and sealed decal tattoos. (all the tiny ones are decals)

Part 2:
How to tattoo with temporary tattoos. The nice thing about the temporary tattoos Vs the decals, Is you can get bigger designs with the temporary tattoos.
This is the method I have used since I want a little kid. I have always been tattoo obsessed. Although, as a child, I knew nothing of sealers, so my tattoos always scratched off.

Big warning on this one. I suggest practicing this with a tattoo you don't care for or one you have multiples of. It is a little more difficult to get this one right.

Same supplies as for the Decal tutorial, and use the same description on how to choose your victim.

Choose your tattoo. I buy the small packs from Wal Mart that you can get at the cash registers or the bigger packs they have hanging throughout the store, but any regular temporary tattoo should work.

Since most temporary tattoos are made for children, its pretty easy to find smaller ones that can be used on Barbies. Make sure you don't choose one that is going to be to big. Aslo, keep in mind when choosing your tattoo, that a dolls body is usually not flat, so ones that cover a big solid area tend to be much more difficult to apply properly.
When you choose the tattoo, cut it out as close to the design as you can.
If you choose a symmetrical design, this next step is easy. Line up the tattoo how you want it on the body. Make sure you wrap it all the way around to make sure all areas of the tattoo are going to lay nicely and not cover any joints.

If you choose something that is not symmetrical you have to place it face down, because when you apply the tattoo it will face the opposite direction than how you see it on paper.
WRONG WAY

RIGHT WAY

When you have chosen where you want the tattoos to be placed, peel off the plastic cover and lay them face down on the doll. At this point the surface of the tattoo will be sticky so place them very carefully. After you press it down you don't want to pull it back up, it may ruin the tattoo.

Now take your Q-tip and dip it in water and fully wet the back of the tattoo. Keep adding water and dabbing the back until the paper moves on its own. Do not pull the paper off until it starts to slide. Pulling it off to early may ruin the tattoo. You have to make sure all areas of that tattoo have released themselves from the paper backing.

Once the paper slides off you can carefully use your finger or the wet Q-tip (DO NOT use a dry Q-Tip for this part) and press down any areas with bubbles or any edges that didn't lay flat. You can blow off any excess water and then let air dry.

When the tattoo is 100% dry, it's time to seal it. I use the same sealer I use for the decals. You want to put enough sealer on the brush that you can dab it on WITHOUT TOUCHING THE TATTOO WITH THE PAINT BRUSH. Temporary tattoos are much more fragile and easy to scratch than the decals. After the first coat dries, you can apply additional coats. As long as you fully covered the tattoo on the first coat, you can brush on the second coat without hurting the tattoo.

And once that dries you are done.  :partydance:

A few tips:
Sometimes I customize the tattoos buy cutting sections out of bigger tattoos.
If the tattoo gets a small scratch, or if a small spot doesn't stick to the dolls body when you slide off the backing, you can touch it up with regular paint.
If you are doing a doll with multiple tattoos, do them one at a time for best results.

If anyone uses this tutorial please post photos of your tattooed dolls.

Here are a few more of mine done with temporary tattoos
I'm gonna leave these ones bigger than I did for the decals since they are more detailed. You can kind of tell in the photos witch ones are decals and which ones are temporary tattoos.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:02:08 PM by dezeradoll »
"Get your Sparkle on." - Barbie

Offline Angelavenger

Re: Tattooing your Dollies with Decals and Temporary Tattoos
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »
That's absolutely amazing. I love it. It never even stuck me to try using temp tats on dolls. Definitely would add some sex appeal to the men dolls.

Offline dezeradoll

• Swapers
  • ummm.. because Yes!
    • Me on Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
That's absolutely amazing. I love it. It never even stuck me to try using temp tats on dolls. Definitely would add some sex appeal to the men dolls.
I love my tattooed men. John will eventually have both arms compleatly covered.
thank you  :pouncehug:

Offline Kyorl

• Swapers
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:50:58 PM »
Do you think that one of these two methods would work with model car decals?
When layer is put upon layer, when all is a facade, within a web of deception, the truth is what you make it.
~Artemis Entreri

Offline partydolly

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:17:57 PM »
 :clap1: This is fantastic, thanks for all the details and tips. I have tried this, but now that I know how to do it correctly, my tats should come out a lot better.
I have been saving up temporary tats of all kinds, I even once used rub on tats from an Easter egg dye kit.
I have to try this, you have given me the confidence to do more! I'll tat some up and take some pics!

:toss: :multistar: :headbang: Heeeeeee! Yay!  :pouncehug:

maywong

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:07 PM »
Great Tattoos. :grin1: BTW, do you know how to get the original tattoo off the H.D. Ken's body?

Offline dezeradoll

• Swapers
  • ummm.. because Yes!
    • Me on Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 12:00:36 AM »
Do you think that one of these two methods would work with model car decals?

Yes, car decals are the same style as the nail decals

:clap1: This is fantastic, thanks for all the details and tips. I have tried this, but now that I know how to do it correctly, my tats should come out a lot better.
I have been saving up temporary tats of all kinds, I even once used rub on tats from an Easter egg dye kit.
I have to try this, you have given me the confidence to do more! I'll tat some up and take some pics!

:toss: :multistar: :headbang: Heeeeeee! Yay!  :pouncehug:

:pouncehug: thank you. i cant wait to see your tattoed dollies

Great Tattoos. :grin1: BTW, do you know how to get the original tattoo off the H.D. Ken's body?

No, but i did Cover it on one of my boys. I will take a pic of the cover up as soon as i find my camera...

Offline scruffy8puppy

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 12:05:46 AM »
omg omg omg....*runs around in circles* Thank you so much for writing this tutorial!!!!

:massbounce:

Cynthia

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:26 AM »
Very cool! I likes tats on the girls n boys! :chatterskull:

Offline Valkyrie

• Administrator
  • Ruler of all I survey
    • Dolls-n-Daggers
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 06:02:20 AM »
 :woohoo: Oh WELL DONE!! - I love it lots!!  :kisses:
That which does not kill me - has made a grave tactical error - Jerry Pournelle

Offline Lilybet85

• Swapers
    • The Creative Crossing
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:37:06 AM »
Finally! Michael's been getting on my case about the tattoo he wants and I've been telling him he needs to patient, I was waiting for your tutorial! :grin1: I can't wait to try this!
"I'm glad you've got an absolute definition of life in the universe, but perhaps the universe has got ideas of its own." The Doctor

"It is possible to commit no mistake and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." Captain Picard

Offline dezeradoll

• Swapers
  • ummm.. because Yes!
    • Me on Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
Finally! Michael's been getting on my case about the tattoo he wants and I've been telling him he needs to patient, I was waiting for your tutorial! :grin1: I can't wait to try this!
My boys get impatient to  :grin1: Just bough them a new pack of tattoos to try out latter. I really want to finish John's arm, but its taking forever to find all the right tattoos.

Offline Linnzy

• Swapers
  • In the name of the Moon, I'll punish you!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 05:16:47 PM »
This is so cool..I used to tatoo my boys n girls before, back then I did not know about sealer, I used transparent tape to make it last longer.....

I have been thinking of using nail-decals but I've never found any with appropiate pitures XD at least not for the boys......and the kids temporary tattooos in my area isn't so hopeful either...oh well that's why we got the internet!
Credendo Vides - By Beiliving, you'll see! - The Voyage of the Unicorn

Offline Lilybet85

• Swapers
    • The Creative Crossing
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 11:16:15 PM »
Not only did Michael finally get his phoenix tattoo, but Lucas and Vincent are getting several! I've covered a lot of Lucas and.. get this... my best friend, who is not into dolls, was having a BLAST tonight putting tattoos on Vincent! We're taking a break to let the sealer dry, but she says she is nowhere near done! Might we have a convert? Let us hope! :grin1:
"I'm glad you've got an absolute definition of life in the universe, but perhaps the universe has got ideas of its own." The Doctor

"It is possible to commit no mistake and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." Captain Picard

Offline dezeradoll

• Swapers
  • ummm.. because Yes!
    • Me on Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 03:25:26 AM »
Not only did Michael finally get his phoenix tattoo, but Lucas and Vincent are getting several! I've covered a lot of Lucas and.. get this... my best friend, who is not into dolls, was having a BLAST tonight putting tattoos on Vincent! We're taking a break to let the sealer dry, but she says she is nowhere near done! Might we have a convert? Let us hope! :grin1:
Pictures please  :grin1:  :woohoo: :woohoo:

Tags: tattoo decal